Sunday, August 2, 2015

Screencasts

Screencasts are awesome educational tools that allow you to capture your activity on a computer screen while optionally recording audio and video at the same time.  Typically, screencasts feature a narration of what the screencast is about, making them well-suited for educational use (particularly tutorials and how-to videos).  I have seen several libraries using screencasts to provide tutorials of library resources such as databases and digital tools.  I have also had many professors in my library science program create screencasts to demonstrate how to use different resources.  I have had experience making screencasts for various assignments during my library science program using both Screencast-o-Matic and Screenr.  When I tried to use Screenr today, it could not detect Java on my computer despite me downloading it just before using Screenr (I even tried a Mac, and it wouldn’t work).  As a result, I explored and created screencasts on Screencast-o-Matic and Jing.


Screencast-o-Matic
Screencast-o-Matic is great because it is very easy to get started.  You do not have to download anything in order to start recording.  For a free service, I feel that there are a lot of features provided.  You are able to choose whether you want to record the screen, via the webcam, or both.  Using the webcam during a screencast would allow viewers to see the screencast along with a video of you as you narrate what is going on.  The maximum time to record is 15 minutes, but by purchasing an account you can get a longer amount of time.  In order to record, you simply set the window up by resizing it around the subject of your screencast, and click record.  Another nice feature is the ability to pause the recording and restart when you are ready.  This is helpful in case of interruptions or if you misspeak during the screencast.  You can also back the audio up and record over it if you want to correct a mistake.  When you finish recording, you can download the screencast as a video file or upload it to YouTube.  Below is a screencast that I created using Screencast-o-Matic, teaching parents (and students) how to log in and use Capstone via the school library webpage:



Jing
In order to use Jing, you have to download the software to your computer.  One thing I really liked was the optional tutorial that came up when I first opened the program.  This tutorial briefly explained how to capture images and share them with others.  Jing allows users to capture screenshots of a selected area or record screencasts of a selected area on the screen.  Jing allows users to pause while creating a screencast, or mute the microphone during the recording.  You can restart the recording but you cannot back up a current recording to a certain point and record again like you can with Screencast-o-Matic.  Below is a screencast that I created using Jing, teaching parents and students how to log in and use PebbleGo via the library webpage.  Please click the link to view the screencast:
The biggest differences I noticed between these programs were the features available and the time allowed for recording.   Screencast-o-Matic allows the most time; even though you may not need 15 minutes for each recording, it is nice to have that time if you need it.   Jing requires a little more to get started because you have to download the software, but also offers nice features and makes it very easy to share the final product.  Out of these programs, I’ll probably continue to use Screencast-o-Matic because I already have experience with it.  I also like to have the extra time, and like that I can back up my recording and record it if necessary, without having to start all the way over.  I feel like Jing is a great option as well, and I like it better than I liked Screenr. Once I become a librarian, I’m planning to create screencasts for library resources and digital tools, in order to promote use and access of these resources.  

3 comments:

  1. Nice work with the screencasts! Did you know you can also add your picture as you explain the sites? That can help students feel a connection with you as the teacher. The feature screencast-o-matic allows to let you back up re-record is genius, too, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating the screencasts has been one of my favorite things to do. I feel that they will be extremely helpful to me this upcoming school year as I am going to basically be creating them for my parents in order to demonstrate how to do a lot of the online things that students are required to do. I love them. Now if i could only get use to my chipmunk sounding self on them it would be great...I hate my recording voice, but it is what it is...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked doing these as well, but I had a lot of trouble uploading to my blog! I will get it some day. I don't like my voice either.

    ReplyDelete