Thursday, August 6, 2015

Course Reflection

Digital Technology for the School Librarian was one of the most enjoyable courses for me of all my courses in the library science program.  I not only had the opportunity to try new technology tools, but I got to practice using tools that I'm already familiar with in new and exciting ways.   I am very grateful to have learned about TED talks in this class (I was mesmerized by the one I watched for the Infographics assignment - The Beauty of Data Visualization - https://youtu.be/5Zg-C8AAIGg) and also the PEW Internet site.  I think reading articles and viewing presentations from both of these resources will be wonderful ways to keep growing professionally.  This course challenged me to think of how each type of technology could be used as a librarian in order to benefit students, and I feel that I have grown significantly in my "tech IQ."  The readings that I did this semester also helped me learn more about the theory and trends in educational technology. 

The most exciting technologies for me in this course were Twitter, infographics, online book communities, Vine, screencasts, Animoto, and comics.  I really learned a lot about each one of these and I am looking forward to continuing learning as I use these with students.  I know the students will love creating book trailers in Animoto, and I am sooo excited to use Biblionasium.  Screencasts will be a great way for me to introduce content or provide tutorials on various things.  The most difficult tool for me was the podcast - I'm a much better writer than speaker so I tend to be anxious when I'm recording.  That is why I love the feature on Screencast-o-Matic that lets you pause and back up to fix things!    I am keeping several of these tools under my belt for when I am in a library, particularly Facebook and screencasts.  I also learned in my journal readings about digital badges for teachers and students, and I am planning to incorporate those as well. 

I think all the technologies we learned and discussed are beneficial for students in some way.  The hard part is taking time to really think about how to use the technology, connecting it to content, and providing training and access to students.  I selected three tools that I really want to try this fall semester: Biblionasium, ToonDoo/Pixton, and screencasts.  I think these three tools can make a significant impact as a classroom teacher.  If all goes as planned, I can work on incorporating and trying out some additional technology tools in the spring.  I am also planning to keep up this blog, as a way to report out how things are going in using these technology tools and also to share any new technology that I learn about.  This will also give me a place to reflect.

Even though I'm graduating in 2 days (yay!), I plan on spending one more year in the classroom.  I am really looking forward to trying some of these tools with my students this year to see how effective they are with students and learning more about applying them to create meaningful lessons.  I think having the opportunity to try incorporating more technology as a classroom teacher will help me in my efforts to collaborate with my colleagues as a librarian in the future.  If I know what works well and what kind of guidance (predictable problems?) to offer with these tools, I will be more confident in recommending and training teachers to use them.  I am very appreciative of the feedback and comments that my colleagues have left through the semester, and I wish everyone the best of luck in their technology journey! 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on you graduation! You did a great job in this class. Keep helping the students to grow in their technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! This is great news! If you are interested in data visualization, I just found (this morning) a free website called Tableau for data visualization. Take a look here https://public.tableau.com/s/welcome-infoactive and then click on resources to see a demo. I can see using earthquake data to outline continents to show students some real earth science!

    ReplyDelete